the help desk
Some stuff we each look for and have problems with:
- Scrolling: don't make your pages so long that it takes forever to
load them and then scroll all the way through them. Divide them up
into separate html files or something.
- Egos: I hate people who say, "Welcome to my awesome page!!!"
The truth is it might be awesome for a while, but it will soon be out done.
Plus that's just your own opinion, a kind of biased one at that. (BTW, for
you flamers, everything we say is our own opinion, and I don't think we're the
most awesome people in the world.)
- Too much flashy stuff: it's great to use some JAVA and moving
stuff, but don't overdo it, and make sure there's at least some info on your
page unless you're going to specialize in something like midi files, pics,
- No mixing Japanese and Dic: Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem
with people who do a page on the Dic series. The problem happens when
they try to 'Dic' up the series and characters that Dic hasn't done anything
with. If you have a Dic/CWI based page and want to tell people what happens after
those eps, tell them using the Japanese names and stuff, don't try to dub
them on your own.
- Don't copy: So you see some info and stuff you like on someone's
page? Write a link to it for people to check it out, don't cut and paste it without
permission. More than likely not going to get sued if you do, but
most people will hate your guts if they notice it.
- Three recent trends I dislike:
people from stealing pics. There are so many ways around that script it's only
effective against fresh newbies who do not realize the other ways you can save pics. Meanwhile,
people like me who love using "open in new window" for jumping around sites are stuck with
annoying messages boxes.
- Sites which cram everything into a very small frame "box". Sites
that do this make you scroll more, plus for things like image galleries it is impossible to
do any good browsing.
- Sailor Moon sites that have index pages featuring only pictures
from other anime/manga. This makes it confusing to newbies and oldbies alike. Is this a SM site
or a Eva one?! I can understand some people want something different, but a SM site, should
have SM on the index. SM is your site, SM fans are your audience, so use SM materials.
Now I don't feel this applies to "Collective Sites", unless of course all the sites in the
collective are SM related.
- Just because the technology is out there, don't put it
all on your page! I hate pages full of moving .gifs and
JAVA script and all that stuff. One of something is enough.
- Don't put something on the Internet if it's already
been said. How many times do I need to see the same
Sailormoon page? Once. Make sure what you're putting up is
something that people can actually *LEARN* from.
- If you're going to make an NA page, fine. But don't try and incorporate
Japanese things into it! Don't put all of Mars' attacks if you're going to do
a NA SM page.
- I hate pages that use "Scouts" for Senshi not yet dubbed.
I Hate the word Scout... Senshi means Soldier or Warrior.. Do
you know what a Scout does? A Scout sells cookies and goes
on camping trips to earn merit badges.
- Give credit where it is DUE! You can ALWAYS tell when
someone stole from another!
- Don't plagiarize... That's one of the things that really
pisses me off. Some people actually *TRY* to do their own
- Moving .gifs and JAVA and MIDIs don't impress me... You
can't judge a page by those standards. So if you're relying
on only those things, you don't have much of a page.
- Write about what you KNOW. Don't try talking about something
when you have NO IDEA what it's about.
- Get rid of those intermingling NA and Japanese names. If
you want to talk about both of them, make two different sections or
obviously distinguish between them without confusing them. This
includes NA and Japanese info like attacks and backgrounds and
storylines too. NA SM and the Japanese SM are way different,
so don't assume that one applies to the other.
- If you have a page with lots of pics and stuff, make a text format.
That helps a whole lot, and people will be grateful. And don't shove
all your information onto one page. Depending on how much space
you have, you can generally make different pages.
- Don't brag about how great your page is... That's another
thing that annoys me: people saying, "Come to this AWESOME
page" which turns out to be pretty lame. Even if your page has
won a million awards, that doesn't mean your page is the best.
95% of all Sailor Moon awards are stupid; anyone at all can make them.
I've seen so many webpages that get awards that they don't even deserve,
simply because the person running the awards was impressed by JAVA
or a bunch of pics even though the info was trashy or stolen.
- I have nothing against North American Sailor Moon pages. But don't
try and dub what hasn't been done yet! Also, if using both sets of info from
the English and Japanese series, at least do it right and put them in a
separate section with their real names and say that this is what is
upcoming in the series.
- For the love of God! Don't fill your page with useless
pictures! Make links to them instead or the almighty
- Make sure that your information is correct, there's
nothing worse than going to two pages and hearing two
UTTERLY different things such as: Page #1 'Luna becomes
a human in the SMR movie.' and then Page #2 'Luna becomes
human in the SMS movie.'
- If you must insist on putting up the Japanese names,
please do us a favor and spell them correctly.
- If you have an NA Page, why the hell would you put
up pictures from Sailormoon Sailorstars? Putting up a
picture of Eternal Sailormoon on an NA page is really weird.
- Make sure that your page is very organized.
- Try and use pictures that you acquire from FTP sites or
by cutting up group pictures. I think every lame Sailor
Moon page has the exact same picture used for every Senshi.
- Don't steal info from anyone.
- Don't come up with the notion that pictures are more
important than Information (ahem, NeptuneSS.) because that's
really quite a load of bs. Unless it's an image archive,
it's really not true.
- Lastly, don't make a page to look cool! Because you end
up looking like an idiot if we find it!